Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Real quick - Sausages Update

I've been trying to finish up my lessons for the Daily Serving this week on Sausage ... Actually on "ForceMeats". I believe that the one who really learns the most is the teacher. I didn't even realize how much I'd forgotten about these types of foods.

I do love sausages!! When in Germany, I was introduced to such a variety that I was almost overwhelmed. Overwhelmed in a good way, because I had the opportunity to taste so many. The only one that I wasn't wild about was the blood-wurst. Wurst means Sausage in German ... thus the Bratwurst, Curry wurst, etc...

The thing that baffles me is "Who thought up the idea of sticking perfectly good food in the intestine of an animal?" Really, that is something that I think I would not have considered.

I did see some interesting sausages while visiting Bulgaria and Romania when I was in college, but because of the strangeness ... perhaps because it was being sold off a cart on a dusty roadway, I was leery of the situation and didn't try them out.

Perhaps my favorites are a good Cajun spicy sausage and the Bratwurst. We used to sell a good combination with some curry sauce too ... but it wasn't authentic German. I must admit it was one of my favorite things to eat in Germany ... the curry wurst from the street vendor ... and the long thin brats.

Okay, enough for now ... need to get to bed.

Warmest Regards,



Chef Tom Heintz

No comments:

Post a Comment