Friday, March 11, 2011

Chef Tom Heintz - First Posting!

Chef Tom Heintz here, I'm actually pretty excited about starting this blog. Hoping to connect with other chefs, cooks and food industry people ... in fact anyone that has an interest in Food.

My culinary history started at a young age growing up on a small farm in Washington state. Only 30 acres, mostly a "gentleman's" farm with one milk cow, a couple beef, a horse, sheep, chickens, ducks, rabbits and fish in the 1 acre pond. We had a 3/4 acre garden to feed the family of 8 children and did our canning and preserving faithfully every year ... had to with that many mouths to feed. We even had some bee hives out back.

My grandparents also lived on the property so family was always a big thing. My dad's side of the family were 100% German and my mom's side were Swedish/English. So we had a great mix and strong food cultures to work with.

My dad loved entertaining and the area around the pond became our picnic area ... sometimes hosting to as many as 250 people in some of the biggest potluck picnics I had ever been a part of. Usually we featured some kind of meat ... sometimes it was roasted pig, other times with smaller groups, we splurged on a Salmon bake which he was famous for.

I have always cooked, being the oldest in the family. My mom did the cooking for the family, but I did whatever "extras" I was interested in. Later on my own, I gained a reputation as knowing how to cook up a storm and many new friends were acquired through that skill set.

It was later in life when I really decided to enter the food industry and finally went to Culinary school receiving a degree. Worked as a prep-cook, cook, banquet chef, sous chef, executive chef and a culinary instructor along the way. Finally building and operating my own restaurant ... which about wore me out.

I still cater, but now I focus on creating online culinary lessons for people that don't have time for culinary training ... I provide the background of the culinary world.  The Daily Serving is a year long course that features 1 topic a week for 52 weeks. Each topic is split into 5 lessons ... one a day Monday through Friday via email.

The classes are Free, but you need to sign up for the subscription in order to receive the lessons in your email.
You can access the classes at www.TheDailyServing.com

You can also visit my Fan Page on Facebook at www.fb.com/theDailyServing

Thank you so much for your visit ... please fee free to ask questions or make comments!!

Warmest Regards,
Chef Tom Heintz

No comments:

Post a Comment