Monday, March 21, 2011

Food Storage - My take on it

How is everyone doing this fine Monday? ... can't say morning, it's already afternoon. I've been busy trying to keep up with all the requests to add things on the website.

So first off ... THANK YOU!!! for all the comments I receive on the Blog. You may not see them below, but I receive them from my Facebook friends and many personal friends in person. It is amazing to see all the wonderful people out there that take the time.

How about this Food Storage idea? I'm a church going man and we have always believed in having a year's supply of food or least 3 months worth. I do understand that not everyone can do that ... different constraints such as space, money or time, but it seems that in a crisis you suddenly find that you're glad to have what you've set aside ... for whatever reason.

My wife considers me a pack rat because I always have a backup of items that I never want to run out of ... some of them are food related, and others material goods. Mostly they are things that I "might" need and seldom actually use.

In the food categories, they are things that I know I would miss ... you know, that spare cache of smoked herring or an extra box of Captain Crunch that nobody else knows about ... unless they've raided my closet.

In reality, the fact of having food storage hits much closer when you're in between jobs or financially struggling to make ends meet. knowing it's there is a mind set that gives you peace.

I've actually used mine quite a lot when we lost our restaurant. Times were tough and one thing a chef hates ... is not having food around. I've never experienced that and don't ever intend to if I can help it.

Another fact about having food storage is the knowledge that you can help others in their time of need. There have been many times we've raided our stocks to fill a box or bag for a friend that wasn't sure where they were going to get enough for their needs. I'm a firm believer in what goes around, comes around. I've been helped and taken care of in so many ways ... it's a small thing to return the favor.

So why am I talking about this? Because of some old papers we found when cleaning out a drawer. To me, 1989 doesn't seem that long ago ... but to many, it seems like back in the dinosaur age ... you know when the internet was in it's infancy.

To get back to the subject, we found this list of how to get your year's supply a piece at a time ... very affordable and doable. I did a survey on my Facebook page if there was any interest and it came back saying that "Yes" there is and so I now have it on my website as a freebie for any who wish to view it ... I even put a PDF version so people can print it out.

Many times we think that we have to buy a commercially packaged system ... for those that can afford it, that's great, but it isn't when you go into debt to get it. Chances are you have to figure out how to use it and there may be things you aren't familiar with or want to eat. By starting small and including the things that you normally consume, chances are that you'll be more comfortable when you're called upon to use it.

I hope that this makes some sense to you. Enjoy the addition to the website, it's in the FREE STUFF section, but the link will take you right to the page. Here's the link Food Storage Plan

No comments:

Post a Comment