Saturday, March 12, 2011

Seattle's Pike Place Market - Have you been there?

Being a Washington born native, especially when it comes to the western side of the mountains, everyone has heard of Seattle's Pike Place Market. In fact my grandfather, Roy Dahlgren used to have a booth there over 50 years ago where he sold Cheese, Eggs and Butter.

It was a bit rougher back then ... he carried a .22 pistol in his pocket for rats and a 1 lb lead weight with a heavy thong on it for the bad guys that lurked in the shadows when he would close up shop. When I was growing up, it was only safe to go there during the day ... and a woman just wouldn't go there by herself.

I remember going to visit grandma and grandpa and you smell the cheese before you even got in the house. Grandpa would be sitting in his chair watching two different TV's with two different sports games going on ... paring knife in one hand and some stinky cheese in the other. Now that I'm a grandpa, I find myself doing pretty much the same thing ... only without the TV's. My kids know when I'm about it and steer clear of the foul stuff.

Today, the Pike Place Market area has been completely cleaned up and has become the Mecca for the tourist trade ... as well as locals looking for fresh veggies. My dad took our extra veggies down there for years ... along with the flowers he grew. So there is sort of a history.

I live on the Olympic Peninsula which is still a ways away, but I love visiting the market. It is a must see place when I have visitors in the area. If you're looking for something special ... it is definitely here someplace ... you just have to keep looking.





Warmest Regards!

Chef Tom Heintz


PS. Don't forget about the "One Pot Meals" next week in www.theDailyServing.com lessons.

1 comment:

  1. This is great Chef Heintz, It brings back memories of all the times I visited Seattle while growing up on the west coast. Never do I miss going to Pikes place Market when I'm there....Must see destination,Always! Thanks for sharing this,Sir!

    ReplyDelete