Monday, April 4, 2011

Semi Annual Conference - My Soap Box Sermon

Today and yesterday was the Semi-Annual Conference for our church, 181st I believe. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints ... The "Mormons". They broadcast this world-wide on just about all medias for all the members and those that are interested in so many languages that it is almost impossible for someone to not understand. They even had the buzz going on twitter!!   Check out mormon.org


The messages come in the form of 5 - 2 hour sessions starting Saturday morning and spaced about 2 hours apart, 3 on Saturday and 2 on Sunday. In the springtime and then in the fall we receive guidance from a Living Prophet and the 12 Apostles of the church. This combined with other General Authorities who are selected to speak for these conference sessions.

The amazing thing that I find is that no topics are assigned. It is a matter of prayer and inspiration/revelation as to the topics they speak on. Each takes the time to study out and find what the Lord wants us to learn. And in so doing ... we get a variety of talks on different subjects.

This past conference I found there was a general theme ... one of personal temporal welfare. The concern was for not just the spiritual well-being of the individual, but the physical welfare as well. This will mark the 75th year of the church's welfare program. Designed to assist the temporal needs of the people.

As I have journeyed through this life, there have been many times I didn't know where the next meal was going to come from for my family. Due to unemployment, unforeseen circumstances or poor choices financially. Yet, I knew that there was always a place of refuge that I could rely on if needed ... providing it didn't come from my immediate family and friends. That was the church.

No matter where in the country I found myself ... actually anywhere in the world ... I knew that there was a system in place that I could rely on to provide the extra that I was unable to provide for myself. We were never to be forgotten nor left on our own.This is because the church is the same anywhere in the world ... no matter where I am, no matter what language is spoken, I have a home that I am a member of ... my family of equal brothers and sisters. How is that for peace?

That information supplies a profound sense of comfort and reassurance.

Let me tell you what I know ... through personal study and prayer and application. I give you this because maybe ... just maybe, someone out there needs this info right now. For the rest of you ... it might be time to quit reading ... no food involved.

BUT for those that want to know what makes me tick ... what really is important to me ... my anchor in the world ... then read on.

The knowledge of my purpose here on earth lets me know things from a different perspective ... I know where I came from, why I'm here and where I'm going after this life. I have a choice as to the outcome. It is my decision and this knowledge comes through revelation ... mine and from my leaders.

I now realize that truth dispels fear, hope replaces despair, light conquers darkness. That anything is possible through faith and understanding principles that we are not alone.

As a member of this church ... the Church of Jesus Christ, I believe in modern revelation. This means that we have the ability to receive direction and help from God. That He can and does communicate with us if we seek Him. We have that right as His literal spiritual children. We can know His plan for us if we ask and diligently seek through prayer and study.

I believe that Jesus lives, that He really was resurrected and that He has a prophet here on earth that directs His will concerning His children ... of which I am one. Just as He did in the old Testament starting with Adam and after the mortal death of His Son Jesus Christ ... Peter being the first Prophet post Christ, with 12 apostles to support him. The prophet today is Thomas Monson, he is supported by 2 counselors and the quorum of the 12 apostles. All are prophets, seers, and revelators ... They speak with God and receive revelation just as prophets of old.

I believe that we are as important as the first children on the earth in the times of Adam ... they needed revelation to help them ... through Enoch, Moses and others until the time of the Messiah, Jesus Christ ... and after. The old testament and the new testament ... a series of books combined and roughly translated, tell us of these revelations and communications.

That revelation and His church were lost for a period of time when the priesthood power was taken with the death of the apostles at the time of Christ and that it was restored with the calling and ordination of Joseph Smith in the 1800's. The only way it could have happened ... a restoration, not a new religion or cult ... restoration of something that had existed before. Done through the power and majesty of God and His Son Jesus Christ ... the way it was done in the time of Adam. A direct visit and following specific guidelines.

A prophet, a seer given the power of the priesthood to receive guidance as in the days of old was once more on the earth. The dark ages were over and revelation was once more flowing ... just look at the advances on the earth in the form of technology ... pretty much from 1830 forward ... from horse and buggy to space travel.

Since that day ... we were promised that the church that Jesus Christ formed while on the earth and priesthood power ... with prophets, apostles, and others would never be taken again from the earth ... and that revelation would flow to those that sought it for those things they had stewardship over.

Through that power and reorganization of His church, the prophets of our day have established His kingdom ... not for earthly rewards or compensation ... this is a church of volunteers who work because they have received revelation of their own of the validity of the gospel and it's purpose ... the salvation of mankind.

This includes both temporal and spiritual needs. Revelation is the "Rock" that Christ spoke of and that Peter knew of ... the direct link to the divine guidance of God.

This is what I know to be true and I testify of it in the name of Jesus Christ. 

May you all someday come to the realization that you do have a choice and an agency to choose through revelation the things that will help you fight despair, fear and darkness and find hope, light and truth.

It's available to all that seek it ... simply by asking and having faith that you will receive an answer. Then be willing to follow that prompting you will receive ... what do you have to lose but your doubt and confusion.

Warmest Regards,

Chef Tom Heintz




No comments:

Post a Comment