Friday, March 18, 2011

Post St. Patty's Day

It isn't that I do much on St. Patrick's day ... BUT I Do love the food. I was reading a comment about how everyone suddenly becomes Irish for a day. Our accents change, our mannerisms change ... we become experts on making fools of ourselves.

When I was in 6th grade, my teacher was Mr. O'Brien. I believe his first name was Patrick and we celebrated the day as best we could ... being 6th graders. One of my classmates, Rory Rhoades and I were talking the other day about him ... and 6th grade was over 40 years ago. That introduction to the country of Ireland left a lasting impression on me.

In fact, it was he that introduced us to the concept of kissing the blarney stone ... apparently you have to be held upside down, leaning over a wall in a tower to get to it. As a kid I couldn't help think about how much fun that would have been ... as an adult, I wondered about the germs that had accumulated on that blackened stone!

On to the food ... Corned Beef and Cabbage, a mess of boiled potatoes and a bit of mustard. Here's a picture I stole from Gina Martino Zarcadoolas on Facebook. She did this fantastic looking dish yesterday. Makes me drool just looking at it.


I was too cheap to buy Corned Beef and I didn't want to use tinned Corned Beef ... so I opted for a Smoked Pork Shank from our local "Sunny Farms" grocery and tossed it in with some cabbage and sharp cheese. Turned out a bit greasier than I would have liked, but still my tribute to the occasion.


Not completely Irish ... actually a lot German (my background), is the fabulous Reuben ... a combination of Corned Beef & Cabbage (in the form of Sauerkraut) ... a mustard onion sauce and grilled on a panini machine.


These are pictures of the Sandwiches we did at the Sauer Kraut (our restaurant). 


Check out the recipes for Corned Beef in the Casseroles section of www.TheDailyServing.com


Quick Side Note: Did you know that you can use your Waffle Iron if you don't have a panini machine at home? Gives you funky marks, but hey ... it works!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment