Monday, March 14, 2011

My Birthday - March 13th!!

What a great day today was!! I suppose I'm already behind the schedule since it's after midnight ... but my birthday was a terrific success. I wanted to share with all of you some of the good things I experienced.

Of course church is a big thing for me and my wife and we attended this morning. What a wonderful way to celebrate your birthday ... I sat with my wife and my mother. The women who made it all possible and raised me. A true blessing.

I also had plans for one of my daughters and her boyfriend to come for dinner. Silly me, I had forgotten to put the country ribs in the crock pot before going to church ... so I'm sitting there in church and suddenly realize we don't have anything ready for when we get home.


Panic!!! ... Then I remember that my daughter is going to contact me when she leaves for my place ... about a 2 hour trip. I check my phone for messages ... about 150 well wishers have sent me messages .... I look through the list and find her entry ... she's running late and "if I forgot to put the ribs in ... it was okay because she would take care of dinner". How did she know????

They show up with a King Crab legs, 3 different types of steaks and asparagus spears, and baby red potatoes. There is only 4 of us, so we know we're not going hungry!!! Steve, her boyfriend has been really studying the art of grilling and BBQ ... so he is in charge of the meat. My daughter Annie handles the Crab legs and I work on the roasted potatoes and Asparagus ... also roasted. My wonderful wife Laurel takes charge of dessert ... which consists of brownies and in short order we have a feast!

My wife also has a wonderful gift for me ... something I can use when competing in the next BBQ competition. A pair of tongs ... see the picture. Actually, I don't usually compete ... but Steve will be. I'm usually on the organizational part and judging. I know how to get my share of great meat!!

My children live all over the world. We have one son living in Cambodia with his wife and child and our youngest is visiting with him too for the next few months. One son in California, another daughter in Boston, another son in Afghanistan in the military with his wife and son living on the east coast and another daughter living in Arizona with her husband and 2 children. Annie is the only one in our immediate area ... so technology is very important to us. Using Skype we can have them instantly in our home and tonight we did just that with both Cambodia and Arizona. Wonderful times.

Warmest Regards!!
Chef Tom Heintz


Don't forget to join us for this weeks lessons ... on One Pot Meals!


www.theDailyServing.com - for FREE Subscription!

No comments:

Post a Comment